We’re moving existing websites and email to give you much faster and more reliable hosting and email. Here’s an outline of why we’ve made that decision, what improvements you’ll see, and what you need to know.
Why are you moving my websites and email?
Moving your services with us isn’t a decision we’ve taken lightly, but we believe it’s a necessary step to ensure we’re providing you with the best possible service. Not only will your websites be faster and more reliable, but you’ll see a noticeable improvement in your email services too.
Our priority is giving you the best possible foundation for your business. Your new hosting features will include:
- Full SSD web space – Your websites will load extremely quickly thanks to web space powered by high-spec Samsung SSDs. Search engines like Google have been focusing on the importance of website speed for a while now, and with their figures showing that 47% of users expect a website to load in under two seconds, it’s never been more important to have a fast-loading website.
- Platform-level autoscaling and load balancing – Even when your website is at its busiest, it still performs at its best. It takes resources from a whole platform, not just one or two servers, meaning that if something happens to a server or you’re getting lots of traffic, another server steps in to take its place with no impact to your website.
- A brand new modern, responsive control panel – It’s been carefully designed to be user friendly and give you easy access to all the features you need. Use it anytime, anywhere, from any device.
- Email spam and security measures – Clever filtering means that emails are checked when leaving the server, so the chances of blacklisting are greatly reduced. Email coming to your inbox goes through advanced virus checking and spam filtering measures before it reaches you for extra protection.
- Bespoke WordPress platform – If you have a WordPress website, we’ll be putting it on a fully optimised platform created specifically for WordPress. It uses StackCache caching for greater speed using NGINX, includes automatic core updates, and is regularly scanned for potential security issues.
What do I need to do?
We’re handling all aspects of the website migration so you don’t need to do anything. Once we’ve finished migrating over your website, we’ll send you an email to confirm its completion. Your email will also be moved during this time. If you’re using mail.domain.tld (e.g. mail.yourwebsite.com), no action is needed. If you’re not, for example you’re using a mail server hostname or IP address, you will need to update your mail client: we will supply further details for this as needed.
How long will the move take?
The migration may take anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours depending on the size and complexity of your websites and databases. The average time is around 30-40 minutes, but in a small number of cases it may take longer.
DNS changes can take up to 72 hours to propagate across the internet, but again typically this is much faster. Due to the wide variety of mail providers across the world and different caching policies, there’s a small chance that a minority of recipients may have difficulty sending you email for a few hours while the transfer takes place. If your email is mission-critical, you may want to contact specific people to make them aware that access may be limited, or temporarily provide another email address or means of communication. In this situation we recommend you contact us first to arrange the most suitable time to migrate, normally a weekend.
Will my websites and email have any downtime?
No downtime is expected during the move. In the highly unlikely event that it does happen, we’ll contact you accordingly and keep you updated at every stage.
How do I access my website during the move?
Just the same as usual, whether you’re logging in to the admin or visiting the website as a user. Your visitors won’t notice a difference either.
How do I access my email during the move?
While the migration is in progress, your email may go to either the old service or the new one. For this reason, you’ll need to check both mailboxes to make sure you don’t miss any new emails while the migration is taking place. Alternatively you can wait until we’ve confirmed the migration is finished before reading new emails.
Sending emails works just the same as usual during this time.
If you are using a third party email provider like Outlook, Office 365 or Google which we have configured within our own system, your email should remain unaffected. (Our cloud MS Exchange clients are unaffected by this migration).
What details will I need to log in to my websites and emails after the migration?
The same ones as you were using before. Some mail clients may require you to update the incoming/outgoing mail server setting, so please contact us for more details if you find you have issues with either a desktop or mobile mail client. Your webmail address will change, and all LIVEMAIL references will also need to be changed, where applicable.
The changes you see will be positive ones that will help you grow your business and step ahead of the competition. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your custom!